String tension (was : Birdcage pitch raise)

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 07:13:11 MDT 2007

> So, no one knows !?? I'm quite surprised...
> I didn't expect those to be such difficult question...
>
> Philippe

I'm also surprise that nobody responded to these questions.  Guess I'll
jump in on this one since nobody else has.

> > ...what is the point in raising the string tension ?
>>Does it reduce inharmonicity ?

On the contrary, higher tension increases inharmonicity.

>>or is there any other reason ?

In the case of concert grands, higher tension produces a more powerful
pianos that could compete better against an entire orchestra in concerto
performance situations.  In the case of smaller pianos, higher tensions
were used so they would not appear to be such "weak sisters" to the concert
grands in the some manufacturer's product line.  This was mostly an
American phenomenon, while the Europeans remain somewhat more focused on
building pianos primarily for the chamber music environment.

Frank Emerso