Tung Oil, Mishap

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 12 16:39:42 MDT 2007

John -

  Stripping is a HUGE undertaking, and while it certainly may be called for (you can see it, we can't), I would definitely try wet-sanding a piece or two to see if this might level out the finish satisfactorily without spending 100+ hours of work.  Depending on just how rough it is, start with 320-400 to level, then move to 600, then 800.  Finish with 4/O steel wool, all done "wet" (with lubricant), in the direction of the grain.  Suitable lubricants can be 1) water-based: wol-wax, wool lube, murphy's oil soap thinned with water; or 2) solvent based: mineral spirits, naptha, paraffin oil, etc.   If you are incredibly lucky (it happens!), it will look great.  If not, well....

  Mark Potter

John Ross <jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca> wrote:
          Someone had heard that they could refinish their piano with Tung oil.

  Instead of using 0000 steel wool, a few times, with a rubout and dry, between coats, which does give a quite nice finish.

  They did three coats, but used a brush, and didn't rub out between coats. The result is a thick non smooth finish.

  What is the best way out of this, to end up as it should have been?

  What can be used as a stripper?

  I was thinking strip, then use the 0000 steel wool, as should have been done initially.

  John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca