Here comes the pitch

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 10 06:49:45 MDT 2007

Bob,

 Are you a RPT ? are you a member of any piano association ? or are you just cheesed of that a lot of "piano tuners" just sort of tune pianos.
How many tuners actually regulate pianos, or reface hammers or tell their customers what is wrong with their piano and how much it will cost to fix it up. ?
Funny thing is that when you use a tuning program like Tunelab or Veritune or or you know how good or how bad the last tuner was. Study it and you can tell who the last tuner was.
Tuners who tune aurally in some cases seem to follow the same pattern of errors (according to an ET) which is consistent with their perception of what is correct. To you and me it may not be but to their customers it may be. Who knows.
Talking to another tuner in this country called Australia, We came to the conclusion that now that most of the tuners of concert pianos are using ET's it has made the tuning of concert pianos much easier. (less variation ?) Does not mean to say that if you have a good name for tuning concert pianos aurally that you are not tuning correctly.

Am not a member of any piano organisation in Australia because they will not let me join in my home state. But this does not mean that they (the others) can't tune pianos. Sure they should all have to do a test, but , they all agree that if you learnt from someone else, somewhere, then you must be able to tune a piano.

If you believe that a RPT is not doing the right job or can't tune why not write or phone his chapter and explain why you think that that person should do another test. But keep it of this list.

>From that grumpy old bloke in Australia.

Tony Caught
Australia
0427 850 737