Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Jul 8 08:32:58 MDT 2007

I've never studied Stanwood and it causes the head to spin to try to follow
what you all are talking about. I am definitely saving these exchanges in my
archives for when I am able to study it a little closer. But it is very
interesting to me, and I have dabbled a little in adjusting touchweights.
The more you do this stuff, the more intuitive it becomes, I guess. So I
continue to try to follow the threads and immerse myself in the terminology.

Action spread has always one of those great mystery areas. The first guy to
train me (who it turned out knew very little about pianos) warned me to
never touch it. So for many years I considered it a big taboo, which was
probably not a bad thing.

Since these things do get intuitive I know it is hard to quantify, but can
we try? We change action spread to make sure the jack is properly aligned
with the knuckle. It must be done judiciously as it also causes changes in
the action ratio, that is the amount of key movement to the amount of hammer
movement. Then there is something called magic line that I have a vague
understanding of.

For an intermediate regulator such as myself, i.e., one who is not going to
make extensive geometry changes like moving capstans, knuckles or altering
heels, are there any other criteria one should consider in setting action
spread?

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272