Birdcage pitch raise

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 15:50:38 MDT 2007

At 4:09 pm -0300 6/7/07, John Ross wrote:

>Not having thought on it before, I had always assumed, 'birdcage',
>were pre 1900.
>What is, the latest date of manufacture?

With regard to the better makers in England, Erard used underdampers
very early and so did Broadwood, neither producing over-damped
pianos.  Kirkman switched to the underdamper action probably just
before the turn of the century and Brinsmead finally switched all
models to underdamped probably about 1907.  I can't think of any
reputable maker that fitted overdampers after the first world war.

Whereas in England almost all over-damped pianos were vertically
strung, many German makers continued making overstrung, overdamped
pianos up to the first war, including the great makers Blüthner and
Ibach.  Blüthner's overdamper action is a masterpiece.

Once all the good makers had adopted the underdamper action, the
overdamper action was fitted only to cheap and generally nasty
pianos, but it seems that the overdamper action must have been
actually preferred by an important proportion of the buying public.

I recently bought a Kirkman straight-strung over-damped piano on eBay
for next to nothing just to hear what it sounded like and look at its
construction, and it really is an excellent piano, beautifully made
with an all-over iron frame and agraffes throughout, and with a
wonderful rich tone.  Not all overdamped pianos are rubbish, though
probably 99% of them are.

JD