Odd bass bridge

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jul 6 13:19:45 MDT 2007

I tuned an upright today with a bass bridge feature I'd not seen before.  It
makes contact with the soundboard only at the two ends, as you can see in
the picture.  The blocks are about 2 1/2" long, and the right-hand one has a
tail that goes under the frame, and which I foolishly missed out of the
photo.  The whole of the rest of the bridge floats about half an inch above
the soundboard.  I wonder what the theory was - perhaps the two ends are
supposed to be on special nodes in the soundbard or something?

David.