Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 18:26:03 MDT 2007

I meant a 9 gram hammer weight.  Strike weight would be plus the shank.  At
note 1 I am generally in the 9 - 9.5 grams hammer weight.  Add 1.8 grams to
get the strike weight on average with a Renner shank.  Your 10 gram hammer
producing a 11.9 SW at note 16 is easily a full gram higher than I would
normally go.  I don't use the smart chart, btw, I use what the set wants to
give me.  If the curve deviates somewhat from the Smart Chart curve I don't
sweat it or jump through hoops to manipulate.  It's a theoretical curve
anyway.  The shape should fall in some range heavier to lighter but the
exact shape can vary somewhat.  There are times when a heavier SW is
desirable such as when the sounboard/rib assembly is quite heavy and you
need more mass.  You won't have that problem on one of Del's designs.  The
boards are very responsive.  If you are using Ronsen hammers with light
maple moulding, you should be able to achieve the desired weight with only
modest tapering.  Though each set varies somewhat they are generally not
that heavy to begin with.

Advice earlier about the width of the flange is important if your piano has
that problem-not all of them do.  As I see the data you put in, a medium
weight hammer with at 17 mm flange will not produce any BW/FW conflicts.
Alignment, convergence and all that is another issue that should be analyzed
carefully but a move from 16 to 17 mm will not create any problems there
anyway.

I save the 18mm hanging for action disasters that can't be addressed any
other way for whatever reason.  I don't prefer it and if you go with an 18
mm knuckle you must have more substantial hammer weights or you can have
problems.  Actions such as Ron Overs (from Reno), which had 20 mm hanging
had very heavy hammers which were, I presume, needed for the soundboard
assembly design as well as to function properly with the 20 mm hanging.
There can be similar problems if the hammer gets too light with a 17 mm
knuckle.  You can see this if you've ever switched out a very light original
Steinway hammer onto a 17 mm hanging (DAMHIK).  What I have suggested,
however, doesn't approach that.  Each knuckle hanging, in my view, has an
optimum range of hammer weights associated with it.  I've never really tried
to figure out exactly what that is but basically the shorter the hanging the
lighter the hammer and vice versa.  Compensating for a short knuckle hanging
with a heavy hammer by having a low key ratio doesn't produce as nice a
feeling action as properly matching the knuckle placement with the hammer
weight.  It probably has something to do with inertia with a short knuckle
hanging/heavy hammer, and speed of return and a tendency toward bouncing
hammers with a long knuckle hanging and lighter hammer, but I've never tried
to quantify it.  Anyway, with a 16 (or 15.5) hanging I try to keep the
hammer pretty light.  As the knuckle moves out, the hammer should get
heavier-at least under ideal circumstances.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com