Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Wed Jul 4 11:38:22 MDT 2007

On Jul 4, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Farrell wrote:
> > It's a form of action inefficiency aggravated by tall
> > string heights. The only solution is to raise the keybed (......what
> > is this guy, nuts or sumpin'?)
> Man, I'll go to some pretty far extremes for the no compromise
> approach, but..........

That's how Yamaha sets its string heights, right? String up the
inside rim, mount the outside rim, and then trim off the bottoms edge
of the arms of the rim, so the the keybed attached thereunderneathto
will be the correct distant from the strings. On your Knabe, I'd
guess that raising the keybed 1" would force you into a new back
action, the original one having been designed for a taller back
action cavity.

I have no idea why a majority of 19th century factories thought there
was an advantage in tall string heights. Steinway didn't, neither did
M&H. The lower the string heights the more horizontal your levers can
be.

Let me know if i starting talking you into raising the keybed, so i
can come back an start talking you out of it. <g>

> Indeed, you are correct. SW on that note (#16) was 11.9 (as
> indicated on the hammer)
The hammer from note #29.........

Mr. Bill