Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jul 4 03:46:26 MDT 2007

Action Ratio and Dip and Blow and Etc.Well Jon, I did start with the "Parts Kit". In fact, I started with both "Parts Kits": both the Renner kit and the Abel kit from Wally Brooks. The wippens are Renner and the shanks/flanges are Abel.

I might not be very far along this road to action mastery, but at least I am able identify a bunch of red flags and know that something isn't right - might not know exactly how to correct it - but then again, that's what this list and the archives are for!

I know that I've installed a dy-no-mite belly in this Knabe, but if I put a lackluster action into it, what do I have? (Answer: a crap piano.)

Jon and Dave, if I knew more about what the heck it was that I was doing with these actions, I would likely have bought a 17mm knuckle. At first try, the 16mm, which were identical to the originals and were identified in the Brooks kit at being specifically designed for the Knabe, seemed to work reasonably well. Oh well.

In fact, if I find that 17mm is preferable to the 16mm (and it appears that it is), if I can find a pre-made 17mm that otherwise fits, I will likely just purchase a set of 17mm. I can likely use the 16mm at some point on some other piano.

Thanks for all the input from you guys - I really appreciate it. First a long bike ride this morning, then a little action messing-about, then the barbie. Tomorrow many service calls. Friday major action assessment - will dig into it then and get with y'all. Thanks again.

Terry Farrell