soundboards, gongs, drum heads and speaker cones

jrcbaker at comcast.net jrcbaker at comcast.net
Mon Jul 2 21:24:53 MDT 2007

Where can I learn more about how the soundboard handles vibration? I see that a soundboard curves upward and that strings might be exerting a downward force. So the event of a hammer hitting strings produces a vibration that is carried to the soundboard that amplifies the sound we hear.

What I am asking for are relevant references to the physics of how the soundboard handles vibration. So far I have reviewed a seminar given several years ago at the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology.

I am particularly interested in speculating that the function of a soundboard is similar to that of a gong being struck directly by a hammer.

Thank you in advance for your time.

My highest regards,
Jim