different temperaments: empirical test

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Jul 1 09:16:04 MDT 2007

>My point is: would a musician notice a difference between the two
>temperaments that were discussed the last days?

Yes, most string players I encounter prefer a WT over ET to play with.

>Is that discussion perhaps just theory with no practical relevance?

After hearing two pianos, side by side, one in Moore & Co and the other ET,
the artistic director for a chamber music festival requested the mild WT.

>Are tuners able to differentiate these temperaments when they hear a
>piece of music?

As one's experience develops with any subject, subtle difference are
recognizable
to the initiated. Just as if you listen to a lot of pianists, you can
recognize a certain performers style but easier to recognize are
composers' styles.

The Festival of Temperaments at the annual PTG convention in Rhode Island
had a room with numerous pianos each tuned in a different temperament.
With a roomful of tuners as the jury, ET did not surface as the preference.
--

Regards,

Jon Page