temp change=how much pitch change?

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Sat Feb 10 21:25:10 MST 2007

Hi John,

It's pretty unpredictable but in a way it is predictable. The thing is
that with temperature change, longer strings elongate more than short
strings. So what I find is the pitch will move more in the tenor section
than in the treble. What I like to do (which isn't always possible) is
to tune after the lights have been on for a while. If not possible, I
might leave the piano a tad sharp in the tenor and not stretch my
octaves as much as I normally would. But I will come back after dress
rehearsal and re-tune to clean octaves and specially unisons.

You wrote "> I have one thing in my favor: most people aren't as
sensitive
> to pitch
> as tuners are, so I'm sure I'm overreacting to what was
> probably a very
> minor issue, if noticed at all. <g>"

But I say OK for pitch, but for unisons, everybody can hear them
howling. Before a concert, if you have time at all to clean the unisons,
you should be fine.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC