What are benefits of new shanks on upright hammer replacement ?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 15:53:00 MDT 2007

It is actually a word.

>From my handy-dandy, built-in Mac dictionary:

fricative |ˈfrikətiv| Phonetics adjective denoting a type of consonant
made by the friction of breath in a narrow opening, producing a
turbulent air flow. noun a consonant made in this way, e.g., f and th.
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from modern Latin fricativus, from Latin
fricare 'to rub.'

Not really used according to the definition, but a word nonetheless.
Perhaps "lubricious" might be better, but that still doesn't quite
describe something that has less potential for friction than another
substance.

Any wordsmiths out there?

Thanks for the new word, G!  I doubt if I'll ever remember it beyond
this post, but it's fun seeing a new one.

JF