rust

Noah Haverkamp noahhaverkamp at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 14:11:57 MDT 2007

     I have a piano with rusty front key rail and balance rail pins.
i tried using Coleman's Key Pin Polisher on a drill with Protek CLP
dripped into the cloth bushings, which helped some but basically tore
up the cloth bushings inside the Polisher. then i tried shoving some
steel wool and protek inside the Polisher with mediocre results and
much hassle. finally, just rubbing the pins with steel wool wetted
with a little protek (actually there was enough protek on the pins
anyway) seemed to work just as well.
     All of this managed to smooth the pins so they are usable but
some are still quite rough and i'm afraid the rust will return. it is
only an old 30's winter spinet so it doesn't warrant pin
replacements, i don't think. Any ideas? is there something i can put
into the Pin Polisher to so a better job? perhaps i should just rub
the pins with steel wool and a rust cleaner?
   hold on! i just saw the Travis Tuning Pin and Coil Cleaner in
Schaff. I'll just order that unless there is something better.

-Noah