stiffening keys

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Aug 29 08:22:06 MDT 2007

Greetings,
    I have been wondering what to do with a mid-sixties Steinway.   It has
the Pratt-Read keys and they are sorta limber. I think this is due to the poor
wood, and lack of large plates.
 so,   since there is no budget for rebuilding the keys with new buttons and
larger plates top and bottom,   I have been wondering whether there is any
stiffening to be gained by simply painting the sides of the keys with West System
epoxy.   It seems that it would gain something by soaking into the wood.   I
even thought about laying some strands of carbon fibers along the middle
length and painting the epoxy over them,(I have seen this done on motorcycle
fairing repairs, and was amazed at the strength it imparted).
    Anybody tried this?
thanks,

Ed Foote RPT