What are benefits of new shanks on upright hammer replacement ?

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 28 23:07:02 MDT 2007

Don,
         Did you miss the part where he wrote
"upright"? No knuckles there. Otherwise I agree.
I'm currently installing hammers on an upright
where butts and flanges aren't part of the
picture for a fairly strange reason. Seems the
deceased mother took great care to put on bridle
tapes by herself when she owned the piano and now
it's special to the daughter. Anyway I'm also
trying to decide whether to bore out the butts
and use new shanks or just hang on the old ones.
Boring the butts wouldn't be too difficult but it
does take more time and effort.

best,
Greg Newell

At 10:20 PM 8/28/2007, you wrote:
>Gordon,
>
>Here are my reasons for always preferring new shanks:
>
>- Shank wood ages and becomes more flexible with
>time.  New hammers with more felt are heavier
>than the old worn hammers, and will cause the
>shank to flex more in forte playing.  The tone will be weak as a result.
>- If hammers are worn, knuckles are worn.  You
>can replace them separately - but then the labor begins to justify new shanks.
>- Action centers have often been gummed up at
>some point in their lives, and the bushings may
>not perform as well as they once did.  New fresh
>bushings with even pinning makes for good tone and even touch.
>
>Don Mannino
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp at yahoo.com>

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté