Business for sale - Napa, CA

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 23 20:12:46 MDT 2007

At 06:05 PM 8/23/2007, "Brooks & Yumi" <brooksw at jps.net> wrote:
>Subject: Re: Business for sale - Napa, CA
>Message: 8
>Leslie
>You said: "...non-assured hope..."
>
>If you read what I posted, you would have seen that the "buyer" of
>the "business" only pays money if he makes money from my recommendation.
>Brooks Weisman RPT

Brooks,

Don't let it bother you. I did something similar when I moved from
Boston to California about 11 years ago. I worked out a deal with a
guy I knew where he paid me a small lump sum up front and a
percentage of all business that he got from my client list for a
specified period of time.

The "up front" money was for the work that I had to do in organizing
my files to transfer to him and contacting my clients to recommend
him. Also for transferring my business telephone number and Yellow
Pages listing to him - in a large metro area that's worth money. He
approached me - and other people also approached me with other
offers. So I guess some people see value in buying a client file... I
had a little steady income while I was starting over in a new place -
and he pretty much doubled his business, judging by what he sent me.

Judging by how many people spend good money for totally speculative
stuff - like pork belly futures and stock in startup corporations
that haven't yet made a penny's profit - paying for a "foot in the
door" opportunity to offer service to clients who are known to need
the service isn't quite so farfetched, is it? Especially if the
payment becomes due only if the prospects actually buy the service...

Good luck in your career switch,

Israel Stein