2:1, 4:2, 6:3 octaves

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 22 06:12:16 MDT 2007

Matthew,

First, praise and encouragement.  Keep on studying and practicing, you
won't regret it.

Next, let me suggest some additional reference sources:  "On Pitch" by
Rick Baldassin, available from the PTG store, also available as a series
of articles in the '79 to '99 CD of old Journals.   The Tuning Exam
Source Book, available from the PTG store.  Go to a convention and take
a class from Jack Stebbins.  And there is a series of articles in the
Journal this summer that explains these concepts quite well.

Now to answer your question:  To verify / refine a 4:2 octave, you use a
test note which makes a beating interval with each note of the octave.
Further, the test note must have only ONE coincident partial with each
note of the octave, and it must coincide with the 4th partial of the
lower note, and the 2nd partial of the upper note.   The  best test note
for 4:2 octaves is a Major 3rd below the lower note.  For A3 - A4, the
test note is F3.  Its 5th partial is A5, coinciding with the 4th partial
of A3 and the 2nd of A4.  When the F3-A3 3rd beats the same as the F3-A4
10th, you have a pure 4:2 octave from A3 to A4.  This is the Third-Tenth
test for a 4:2 octave.  (Note:  most pianos want a wide 4:2 at A3-A4).

Similarly, for 6:3 use a minor third above the lower note.  Its 5th
partial coincides with the 6th of the lower and the 3rd of the upper.
For 2:1 use a tenth below the lower note.

hope this helps