tuning anomaly

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Aug 21 21:41:23 MDT 2007

> I have tuned part time at the university for the last couple of years
> and had definitely suspected that some student had a tuning hammer
> because of really odd tunings - or out of tunings.
> Couple of weeks ago I was in one of the professor's office tuning a
> Bosenforfer - there was a very old Brinkermann in the corner of the
> office and I had a look for curiosity. Under music rack was the hammer
> that I was looking for - nicely hidden. Not even a good one - the ebay
> goose neck $20.00 special.
> Gene

No, it surely wouldn't be a good one, would it? There wouldn't
be a fork either, at least in this case.

After talking to the guy about the impossible tuning, we went
into the auditorium to move the junk, unlock the padlocks, and
pull the next piano out of the garage. I'd already been in
there and turned on the work lights over the stage. As we were
pulling the piano out, he mentioned that it was unusual that
the work lights worked, since they hadn't for years. He said
they had a new drama guy who was rather - well, anal, and that
he had replaced the bulbs. I'm thinking, meanwhile, that the
drama guy is the prime suspect to ask about the music room
piano, but I expect it will forever remain a mystery.

Outside the context, but I was somewhat disappointed that the
music guy showed up. Since he hadn't unlocked the stage
garage, and since the giants who put the thing together
screwed the padlock hasps on flat so the screws were
accessible, I had planned to pull the screws, drag the piano
out, and reinstall the screws leaving the piano on stage and
the garage still locked by two padlocks, for effect. Sort of a
Houdunit. Easily mused and irritated is a dangerous combination.
Ron N