damper shoosh noise

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Mon Aug 20 11:27:01 MDT 2007

Assuming the dampers are working correctly and that the swoosh sound is not
abnormal -- there are two solutions that I know of:

    1)    Replace all the damper wedges with pads. Yes, this is a silly
suggestion and, in the real world, it won't work very well. Damping in the lower
tenor/bass will not be very efficient and then your client will complain about
poor damping.

    2)    Encourage the sound recording engineer (or whatever) to stop burying
the microphones inside the piano where they pick up and emphasize the swoosh
sound. This does work but your recording people may not want to do it because
they've never done it that way before. Or because they don't have the right kind
of mikes. Or because the sound room is bonkers. Or because...well, whatever.

Del

  _____