Problems With Duplex Scaling Of Pearl River Grands?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Aug 20 03:39:30 MDT 2007

Hi Geoff

Not exactly, but within the parameters of what the actual string segment
length allows for, yes. Thats what I'd call <<tuning>> the back duplex.
Determining and setting this segment length is the other half of the
whole thing.  Goes without saying really. That is done by adjusting the
position of the bars just forward of the hitch pins.

A little study into what the back duplex is "meant" to do, and a little
experimentation with both adjusting the string segment lengths and, once
thats done, tuning the string segment as per your answer below can be
quite interesting.  Its not particularly time consuming either.

The front duplex in principal is the same thing.  Its just harder to
adjust the length because it involves as a rule grinding down the plate
and installing some sort of counterbearing bar.  Older Steinways had an
adjustable system here.... wish they still had really.  But thats
another issue.

Cheers
RicB

    So setting the back duplex is more or less a process of massaging that
    so-called non-speaking length of the string until you like where it is,
    correct? With the amount of friction across the bridge pins I understand
    that once it is set it's pretty much going to stay there.

    Since the front duplex does change whenever you tune the piano, are we
    pretty much stuck with wherever it decides it's going to be once we have
    stabilized the string with some firm key whacks? I frequently find these
    much more objectionable, than the rear ones. And louder, too.

    -- Geoff Sykes
    -- Los Angeles