damper shoosh noise

pianotuna55 at comcast.net pianotuna55 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 09:46:59 MDT 2007

Dave:
Your problem may have been already answered but I'll throwing in my 2 cents.
I've been faced with the same thing a few years back with the shoosh in a Kawai RX-6 grand in a recording studio with mics right at the dampers.  This piano has many tri chords and a good shoosh.  Of course being a new piano I was NOT going to do ANYTHING on my own.  I forgot who I talked to at Kawai but this is what they said.   You need a pair of serrated hair cutting scissors  (can find at beauty supply store).  They can be expensive so by the best you can afford.  You can't find them at Wal-Mart!   Next, pull the action, remove each damper and trim a sliver of felt that extends below the string so the damper just sits evenly on top of the string.  Before you remove dampers, wedge the lift tray at the factory set level so damper timing will be correct after trimming.   Be careful not to trim too much.   It did the job.
Howard Jackson

From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>

Dave - PTG.org is back up and running.

Terry Farrell