squeaky, creaky pedal puzzler---NO ONE WILL SOLVE THIS!

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 16 16:46:51 MDT 2007

List

  Fixed a squeaky pedal today and the solution to the probem was one that never occurred to me, nor will anyone on this list solve it, including you, Paul Revenko-Jones!

  Now, I'm not saying I'm any better than you guys; it's much harder to figure something like this out from cyberspace.  I had the distinct advantage of having my hands on the piano (and an hour and a half of time).

  But what I am saying is that the squeak came from somewhere you'll never guess.  (So, think outside the box!)

  The piano: a Yamaha P202 from the 80s.  The squeak occurred on the release of the damper pedal.  It was a creak more than a squeak.  Like a rusty door hinge, it would creak 4 or 5 distinct times rapidly in a row, almost like a cricket.  It was LOUD.  (You could actually release the pedal slowly and hear each individual creak.  It sounded like somebody cracking their knuckles.)

  Here's what I did that DIDN'T fix it:
  1.  Floor board was loose at the front where the movers damaged the bottom a bit.  Put more screws in to keep it from moving upon depression of the pedal.  That didn't fix it.
  2. Lubricated EVERY friction point from the pedal itself to the damper lift rod connectors in the action.  Nope.
  3. Tightened the screws on the pedal floor bracket and also the bracket that holds the horizontal lever that connects the pedal to the vertical damper rod.  (This actually eliminated a clunk that happened on the downward movement of the pedal but didn't affect the creak on the upside.)

  At this point, with the clunk gone,  I realized that the creak was coming from above the keys, not below.  Sure enough, I could disconnect the vertical damper rod from the pedal assembly and with my hands, push the damper lift rod up and there was the squeak, clear as day.
  So I focused on what was above the keys.

  4. I removed the action and moved the damper lift rod with my finger and there was no creak.  Perfectly silent.  Hhhhmmmm....maybe it's the rod itself.
  5. Yes!  I found that the pedal rod had a deteriorating rubber nipple on the top and replaced it!  Nope.
  6. Put new punchings to cushion the vertical damper rod on both ends.  Still creaky.
  7. Removed the action and tightened all the screws in the action brackets.  I did find a couple that were slightly loose, but...nope, still there.
  8. Tightened case screws on the interior of the piano.  (OK, at this point, I was grasping at straws.)

  So...here's your big clue, since this will be hard enough even with a clue:

  The creak only occurs when the action is in the piano.  And it happens whether you lift the dampers using the pedal or push up the damper lift rod with your hands.  Yet, take the action out of the piano and lift the damper lift rod with your hands, and there's total silence.  Back in the piano,  there it is again!

  Any ideas?

Prove me wrong.  Somebody solve this one.  I dare you.  LOL!

  I won't let this go on too long, but anybody got an idea?

Tom Sivak
  Chicago