Resale value of Steinway

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Thu Aug 16 14:32:07 MDT 2007

Hi all,

One of my customers asked me to give her an idea of the value of her Steinway.  She is toying between selling the piano at some point or deciding how to figure it in to the distribution of her estate to her children.

The piano is a Steinway upright, serial number 105734.  There has been no *major* work to the piano.  It does have new-ish hammers, decent replacement keytops, a small amount of poor but functioning action repair, and the case has been refinished to keep the look of the original "ebonized" finished (from a distance).  Tunes and holds well with acceptable tuning pin torque (although the design makes it challenging tuning from a method standpoint).  All-in-all decent but not spectacular.

Giving her a value from what sales are like in our small, overpriced neck of the woods doesn't seem appropriate.  What would be an approximate value range for such an instrument in the northeast region of the US?

Thanks,
Debbie