Minx teardown

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 16 13:56:24 MDT 2007

One of those things in the back of the shop, that I intended to get around to.
It was an 85 note mini piano, just cute, but I didn't want to throw it out. It needed a pinblock.
The plate had a lot of screws, all over the place, some even sideways.
I took them out, and the sides came off, the bottom came off, the soundboard, came off, and when I removed the pins, the pinblock fell off.
All these things came free, and not because of glue joints letting go.
It could have been sold as a, do it yourself kit piano.
The lady I got it off, just loved it, and said If I ever got it fixed, give her first call. It was years ago, so I probably couldn't find her.
It was apparently, a UK design that Sherlock Manning got the rights to, but they almost went broke, as after 2 years, they wouldn't hold a tune in the Canadian climate. So they had a massive recall.
I can't see why if I replace the pinlock with a multilaminate 1/4 sawn rock maple block, why it shouldn't work. I would use #1 pins.
The pins were so close that when someone replaced the loose ones with bigger, they were too close. This was before C/A.
It is a drop action.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca