Bass Bridge Epoxy Repair- off list

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Aug 13 08:19:54 MDT 2007

Hi Terry,

I would encourage you to rethink your pricing for the following reasons:

1. you have "saved" the piano with a repair that you have perfected, one
that many many techs would not attempt so they would just condemn the piano.

2. You have a considerable investment in the West System epoxies, and have
developed a significant knowledge base on how to use them. That alone is
worth more than a $20 flat fee. I often charge a $20 flat fee for anytime
the CA glue comes out.

3. My thinking is $60/hr is an average fee for average work that most tuners
would be able to accomplish: changing bridle straps, gluing on a broken
hammer shank, etc. Highly specialized work should command higher rates. You
might not think what you did highly specialized, but consider, how many
other techs in the country would do the work you did? You'll find lots that
would epoxy, but I dare say you'll find very few to use or stock the caliber
material you use and very few of the finished jobs anywhere close to the
quality of repair you did.

You should consider that perhaps it went incredibly smoothly because you had
all the problems figured out in advance, you knew what steps to take, in
what sequence, what to pack from the shop so you had everything you needed,
etc. That's the kind of efficient expertise that we forget to charge for.
We've done it long enough and well enough, that we forget what it cost us to
get here. $60/hr is a good rate to charge for the amount of time that it
used to take.

For a guy that has no problem getting $1000 for an expanding action bracket
job, I'd think any job that required 3 service calls, utilized expensive
repair materials, required specialized knowledge skills, that saved a piano
most techs would condemn, I'd think that job should be worth closer to
$300-400, plus the tuning.

I've looked at the West System web site a couple of times. It looks pretty
overwhelming plus the start up costs didn't look too cheap. Think about your
investment in the product and your investment in learning how to use it.
Then don't short change that knowledge. I think you are worth more. ;-)

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802