tough enough

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 23:12:00 MDT 2007

Personally, I think the exam is brilliant in its conception and application.

What isn't brilliant is a mind-set that says that 80% is good enough and that that is all one needs to achieve. Too much "no tuner left behind" mentality both in the Guild and among its aspiring members. Too much studying to the test rather than studying piano technology as a whole, the concepts underlying what we do, and general diagnostic skills that make us truly technicians.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

In a message dated 08/10/07 21:06:24 Central Daylight Time, custos3 at comcast.net writes:
At 06:11 PM 8/10/2007, Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca>
 wrote:

>Hi Chuck,
>
>It is my understanding that no one has yet received a perfect score on the
>tuning exam. Imho that makes it "tough enough".

Don Tuna,

You don't judge an exam by how hard it is to achieve perfection. You
judge it by how easy it is to pass. And an 80% tuning isn't anything
to crow about. Neither are unisons which are off by the maximum
tolerance that still gets you the point. People with a pair of
functioning ears in their heads who learned how to use them wouldn't
be happy with either. Which is why many tuners feel that the exam is
not " tough enough".

Israel Stein