Stringing Faux Pas or Not Taught Anymore?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 10:54:09 MDT 2007

At 9:02 am -0700 8/8/07, David Love wrote:

>Golf gloves work well especially for the left hand which also
>protects the thumb from wear and tear when winding coils and doesn't
>compromise dexterity.  When installing bass strings the simple rule
>is never touch the copper.  You can handle the strings from the bare
>wire portion.

Yes.  When making and preparing bass strings I wear fairly tight
fitting kid gloves, which are excellent.  During the peparation of
the steel (eye-making etc.) I wear the gloves because it protects the
hands and also because I don't want the extra bother of cleaning up
the eye windings on the machine.  Once the steel is stretched on the
machine I wipe it firmly with a dry cotton cloth before winding on
the cover.  I wear the gloves all the time, so the copper is never
touched by hand and the strings are fed into their polythene sleeve
before the gloves come off.

It would be impossible to use surgical gloves or anything not made of
leather, since great friction is involved and the gloves would be cut
through within a second or two.  A pair of good gloves will last for
several weeks in heavy use and when they are worn through by the
copper I sometimes stick on a patch made from a worn-out glove,
especially if I'm feeling poor or can't find discounted gloves.  I
was lucky recently to find 14 pairs in the local bankrupt stock store
and bought the lot for $6 per pair, but I'll be lucky to find them at
that price again.

People say they can't get on with gloves.  I say get some good
suitable gloves and bloody well learn to get on with them!

JD