Stringing Faux Pas or Not Taught Anymore?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 10:02:17 MDT 2007

Golf gloves work well especially for the left hand which also protects the
thumb from wear and tear when winding coils and doesn't compromise
dexterity.  When installing bass strings the simple rule is never touch the
copper.  You can handle the strings from the bare wire portion.

In the plain wire section I wipe down the strings with a rag dipped in
Protek after each group of unisons, especially the area under the dampers.
With Roslau wire it cleans the strings of residue and also seems to prevent
corrosion from forming (at least for awhile) which helps keep the trichords
from swishing (trimming them properly helps that too).

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com