Church breaking wound strings

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 08:15:06 MDT 2007

 Talking to tech support is a good idea, but I'm not sure Kawai supports Boston, even though they manufacture them.? They are not responsible for the design.? I've had small issues with a Boston upright before, and was told I need to talk to the Boston company.? I'd call Steinway and see if I talk to the Boston division to see what they suggest.

Also, backing the letoff away from the string a bit and shaping/voicing the hammers will ease the piano's pain.?

I've some clients with a Rieger-Kloss (Bohemia) 158 cm grand.? It belongs to a family with a teenage kid who's playing lots of Liszt and some other pieces that call for serious thrashing of the keyboard.? He broke string after string.? The hammers were getting mis-shapen and overly hard from all the use/abuse.? I told them that they NEED to have the hammers shaped and voiced, which they did--after Bohemia went way above and beyond in sending a set of replacement bass strings (they make their own).? I also backed the letoff down a bit.? We'll see how this works out...

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net