An improvement on the Schaff bass-string twister/installer would be.....

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:49:59 MDT 2007

A small vise grip clamped at an angle on the wind of the core above the loop
works just fine to twist and place the loop and can then be locked on the
hitch pin to hold it( the loop) in place while you're making your coil and
pulling the string to pitch. You can then remove the vice grips and square
your loop to the plate. If you have a concern about nicking the string or
marring the paint, a little self adhesive nameboard felt on the jaws of the
Vicegrips will make sure that doesn't happen.
I am all about making my tools do double duty whenever possible and not
buying a specialty tool when I can use one I already have for the same job.

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com