Piano Training & Gluing Hammers w/Titebond

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sun Aug 5 15:20:31 MDT 2007

I was not questioning the choice of Titebond for hanging hammers, especially
not for a field repair.

Rather, your mention of it simply reminded me of a question that I had meant
to ask -- and for that I thank you.  From what I remember being said in the
class, the twist doesn't show up until well after the glue has set (days or
weeks later, if I recall correctly).  It had something to do with moisture
retention and release in aliphatic resin glues as compared with hide glue.

Also, am I correct in remembering that hide glue pulls pieces together as it
dries?  Would that characteristic be of any use in the soundboard repair
that intially started this discussion?  Is the draw-together strong enough
to do something like that, or only enough to seal up small spaces in a glue
joint?

Thanks!

Annie
  On the issue of hanging hammers with Titebond and my post from last night,
I was referring to a field repair in which I didn't have time to go home and
get my gluepot come back and wait the appropriate amount of time for the
glue to properly set. The artist(George Winston) likes to come in at 1 or 2
AM to rehearse on the piano and critique the tuning and any other "problems"
he finds. I did have enough time for the Titebond to set before then.

  I have hung hammers with hot hide glue until the last year or so. I then
discovered the trim and moulding glue that Titebond makes. It has a faster
cure time, it's "open" time is only about 8 minutes but like titebond if you
find you have some crooked or twisted hammers the next day it will release
with a heat gun and re-adhere when it cools.
  --
  Michael Magness
  Magness Piano Service
  email mike at ifixpianos.com