Piano Training Question (Long)

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Aug 5 14:36:31 MDT 2007

Thank you Israel!

<- Insert hearty round of applause here ->

It wasn't until I was well into the Potter course that I realized that there
even were legit schools for piano technology. But even if I had, age, time
and resources would have prevented me from attending one of them. Potter's
course, in retrospect, was a great primer on piano technology. If nothing
else it provided me with enough of a foundation in the craft that I could
attend chapter meetings and conferences, hold reasonably intelligent
conversations and actually understand and absorb what was being discussed. I
have had the extreme good fortune to receive much hands on training from
several notable members of the Los Angeles and South Bay chapters. And now,
three years after completing the Potter course, and getting ready to take my
second stab at the tuning exam, I am more and more realizing just how much I
have learned and mastered since I began. I'm also realizing that as good as
I think I know I am now, even once I pass all three RPT exams I'm still
going to be just a novice. There is no replacing good mentoring, practice
and years of experience in mastering our craft. And I am looking forward to
years of continuing this learning process. I echo what Alan Barnard said:
"...it has been the PTG that made most of the difference. I would not trade
my membership in this great organization and the association of my dear
friends and colleagues for anything!"

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles