(was soundboard repair) Titebond and hammer twist

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Sun Aug 5 11:52:54 MDT 2007

Annie,
There seem to be so many divergent opinions about adhesives, especially in really sensitive applications like hanging hammers, that I have to wonder if any one in this or other panels has ever done a controlled, side by side by side comparison of what happens over time (say, six months) to hammers hung on identical shanks using different glues and different techniques.

Lately, I have acquirred a couple of sets of older hammers and thus have some material with which to work. Let me think about this a bit; but, I might be in a position to understand some "research", as it were.

If I hang a set of hammers, I tend to blame myself for any discrepancies over time. If someone else does, I tend to blame myself for not noticing it before.

Thanks for the stimulation!!

Robin Blankenship