composite block warping

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Aug 5 03:52:48 MDT 2007

Hi Ron and Bob,

I have seen what Bob is talking about. In fact, that has occurred on a block I am capping right now. I'd really like to see the process used to build those Multilam pinblocks because with SOME of them, when you cut off a thin layer so as to end up with the target thickness pinblock after capping, the sucker can spring into all sorts of curves. The one I am $%&#ing with now sprang into an arc with a radius of nine meters or so. When you laminate the cap on, the cap isn't going to flatten the thing much at all if you do the glue up flat. With that kind of a curve, even if you stand on the thing in the middle, it doesn't go flat - hey, even if I stand on the thing it doesn't go flat. With that kind of curve, even if I could draw it up to the plate, I would be concerned about cracking the plate or at least bowing the plate.

Naw, too much curve to let me sleep at night. In these kind of cases, it seems the trick is to somehow calculate how much reverse curve to induce into the structure when bonding the cap to the block to end up with a flat block in a two lamination structure.

By chance you got a formula for that Ron? Let me give you a hint: My first guess wasn't even close..... (I went overboard and actually reversed the troublesome curve!).

Terry Farrell