Randy Potter Course

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sat Aug 4 18:17:10 MDT 2007

Randy's course comes with Reblitz. And a bunch of other valuable reference
books and material as well. Randy's course has enough assigned reading in
Reblitz that by the end of the course you have read the entire book. Some of
it more than once. My feeling is that if all I had was Reblitz I would
probably not have completed anything. The advantage of Randy's course is
that it is structured, it has assignments, written tests and even though you
have to fight sometimes to get them back, tape evaluations. It also comes
with enough tools to practice pretty much all the skills being taught. It is
reasonably well thought out and structured so that you grow from
know-nothing to reasonably well informed, using the previous lessons to
build on the current one.

How does it compare to the other books you mentioned? I think all of those
books should probably be on our bookshelves. But if you had to take a
college course that consisted of being handed a couple of books and then
told to come back in x months to take a final exam how would you do?
Structure and assignments helps to keep you motivated, interested and
involved.

It has been mentioned that Randy's course is a bit, shall we say, wordy. I
have to agree. It is a huge notebook with a lot of chapters that do go on
for pages. It is obviously a work that he was dedicated to because there's
no mistaking that it took years to assemble and organize. While all the
information is there it is nevertheless spread out, and through, a lot of
personal stories. The course could use a good editor to cut it down by half,
organize it a bit better and add an index. But, that said, having personally
completed the course in just over a year, from what I examined before I took
the course, Randy's course is the best piano technology correspondence
course out there, period.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles