Fw: Twisting New Bass Strings

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 11:44:21 MDT 2007

Totally correct. I should have explained further, Ron. Thanks.

Paul

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

In a message dated 08/04/07 12:39:31 Central Daylight Time, rnossaman at cox.net writes:

> I'm not sure where I heard it, but I thought a twist in a plain-wire
> string would bring about ("false") beating.

That's one of those things everyone is taught, everyone knows,
but no one actually sees happen in a piano.

>As you point out it shortens
> the length of what is being twisted (one, maybe two string(s) of a
> three-string "unison") resulting in a need for higher tension in one,
> maybe two string(s) of a three-string "unison". What does that do to the
> "unison?"  I put "unison" in quotes, 'cuz I'm wondering if they all make
> "one sound," i.e. "uni-son".  While it may not result in beating, I
> would expect that the twisted string(s) would produce a different sound
> than untwisted neighbor string(s).

If you put four turns on one wire, maybe. With the normal
minimal twisting you could realistically expect in installing
a string, no.
Ron N