A Taxing Question

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 3 16:47:52 MDT 2007

Funny, not so funny how the infernal revenuers look at it
though.  There is a proper form on which to report gifts to the IRS
and calculate the tax for them.  The IRS might prefer you treat it as
a commission for their tax advantage.  Getting a pugnacious
accountant that is qualified to represent individuals in audits is
worth it, their fee does come out of what you pay the IRS.  I pay a
lot less total now then I did before I got one.

It may also be considered a sales commission and subject to a state's
Sales & Use Tax.  Here in this portion of Texas the rate is
8.25%.  To back out the tax you would divide 200 by 1.0825 and come
up with $184.76 as the pre-tax amount with $15.24 as the Sales & Use
Tax portion for a total the original $200.00.  [Ie add the
per-centage rate as a decimal to 1 (1+0.0825=1.0825) and divide the
original by that sum to obtain the pre-tax portion.]

In Texas you have to charge Sales & Use Tax on your tuning
revenue.  You can back it out like above or tack it on.  I raised my
rates by switching from backing it out to tacking it on a year ago
after looking at my total contribution to the State for the previous
year and looking at my fuel expenditures.  A calculator is a time
saving tool in my toolkit now.

Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano