A Taxing Question

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 16:25:03 MDT 2007

Tuned a Steinway M today that did belong to one customer, now belongs to another, who has become a good friend over the years. I had been on the lookout for the right piano for this gentleman for a couple of years and introduced the two people.

After tuning it, he wrote me a check and said "I'm adding $200 to this in appreciation for finding me this great piano."

"Wow," says I, "Thanks". It was a total surprise because I had not asked for or expected any finders or sellers fees and really didn't do much more than make a couple of phone calls.

Question: Is this $200 a gift, or is it a "fee" that I have to report as business income for taxes?

Seems like a grey area to me.

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO