no fan of overhead fans while tuning

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 08:01:56 MDT 2007

 I'm kind of amazed that I've never been in this situation before, but I found myself there twice yesterday.

As I started tuning a brand new Kawai RX5 (6 1/2 foot grand), I noticed that A4, despite being strip muted, was beating rapidly.? I played several other notes and heard the same thing, and the beat speeds were all the same.? I finally looked overhead and saw a ceiling fan rotating rapidly (and quietly, I might add!).? I turned off the fan and they were gone.? This was the first piano I ever remember tuning that was directly under a fan.? The deflection of the sound waves off the fan blades was quite annoying and distracting.

Next time you tune a piano that has notes that are beating for no apparent reason, look overhead and you might find your answer.?

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net