New bass strings, some dead

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 21:26:49 MDT 2007

"If you want to know the truth, stop having opinions" (Chinese fortune cookie)

In a message dated 08/02/07 22:06:35 Central Daylight Time, davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:
Strings shouldn't require twisting to sound good.
David:

This has always baffled me. Even with the strings from Danny at GC which I dearly love, one twist as I'm installing them makes a huge difference, every time. I used to believe the sentiment you express above, and it represents an ideal world in which strings properly wrapped maintain the internal wrap tension and "grab" on the swage, but it doesn't happen that way. I've tried a lot of string makers over the years, GC is so far the best for my money and my customers' satisfaction, but I've never found a set of strings that could simply be installed with no twist whatsoever. I'd be really interested in other's take on this issue.

Paul