New bass strings, some dead

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 2 20:13:29 MDT 2007

I am restringing a 30 year old S&S L for the local university.  Just
installed the bass strings today, and 5 of the 42 have a noticeably
duller/deader tone than the rest of the set.  The dead strings are not
contiguous - there are bright lively strings in between the dead ones.
In fact, 4 of them are one string of a bichord, where the other string
is good.  We're listening to plucked strings, since I don't have the
action.  The whole piano is chipped more or less to pitch.

Original bridge cap surface planed smooth, bridge renotched, new bridge
pins set in epoxy.  Original agraffes reamed with pianotek reamer.

Is this for sure a case of defective strings, or are there some things I
should check before contacting the stringmaker?

thanks

Mike