Fire Extinguisher bandits

Michelle Smith michelle at smithpianoservice.com
Thu Aug 2 13:24:46 MDT 2007

Hi all.  The band director in the next town over just called and they've had
some vandals during the summer that covered everything in the band hall with
fire extinguisher spray.  The director called the extinguisher supplier who
says the spray is a corrosive and much of the band equipment will start to
be "eaten away".  In addition, the vadals cut the wires to the air
conditioning system and the director said there are water droplets on most
flat surfaces (Texas heat/humidity) and these have mixed with the
extinguisher to make a big mess.  Nice, huh?

They have a Wurlitzer console (probably about 30-40 years old) they've asked
me to look at tomorrow.  I'm assuming the best thing to do is consider it a
loss so they can get a new piano.  Can I do a written statement with the
replacement value as opposed to the current value of the piano after
depreciation?  I've never provided paperwork for insurance companies before.

Thanks for any words of advice.

Michelle Smith

Smith Piano Service

Bastrop, Texas