removing agraffe thread stubs

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 08:04:33 MDT 2007

 Things do seem to happen in clusters, don't they?? I didn't see a broken agraffe for the first 5 years I was a self-employed tech.? Within the last year I've seen four of them, including 2 in the last three days!

Most of them aren't that difficult to get out, because they shouldn't be tightened down to an extreme degree, and many leave a nub of the threaded end above the plate.

However, one of them--a S and S -- had threads that were broken off about 1/4 inch below the line of the plate.? Looking for immediate answers, I called Steinway.? The tech support gentleman recommended that I "think like a jeweler," and use a small, hard screwdriver to tap a slot into the top of the sunken thread remains, then unscrew it.? Worked like a charm.?

I've never had to use an EZ out.? The "tap-a-slot" method is pretty quick, clean, and effective.

Then there's the problem of having the right part on hand.? Yesterday's was on a brand new Bohemia 185 that I was to do a warranty tuning on.? Imagine my surprise!? It was a bicord, and I had none with matching threads in my parts box, but I was able to use a Yamaha tricord agraffe (acquired last week for that repair) as a temporary until Bohemia sends me the right one (and a couple of strings, I hope...).

Just thought I'd share as I drink my morning cuppa coffee.

Dave Stahl, RPT

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net