What NOT to do when refinishing !!!!!!

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Sat Sep 30 15:44:40 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter"

> 4) Apply a THIN coat of sanding sealer over the stain.

Yes and many thanks for saying this!

> 5) Apply filler.
> 6) Lightly sand again, to remove "whiskers" and filler
> on top of sealer coat, between pores.
> 7) Another light coat of sanding sealer.

Etc.......

I am NOT a refinisher.  I do some small stuff but I do not have the
equipment for major jobs (and I don't want to do any, anyway!).

I just finished some touch up veneer work on a 1954 Kawai reed organ.  Also,
much to my dismay, I had to strip and refinish the top.  It had water
damage, from plants or whatever, and the finish had blistered, then flaked
off in four areas.  Stripped it down in less than 15 minutes.  Thoroughly
air dried, lightly sanded, custom mixed stain to match the sunlight faded
remaining case parts, thin coat of sealer, then filler (appropriate
dk.brown), etc. as above.  For my finish coats I used a wipe on varnish,
several coats with 600 grit between each two coats.  One heavy coat applied
with a pad applicator.  Progressive light sanding from 220 through 600.
Three finish wipe-ons.  This looks fantastic, even, clear, and like glass.
Now the problem is it looks better than the rest of the instrument!

Debbie