BAD, BADD, PIANO

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Thu Sep 14 12:00:54 MDT 2006

Shawn,

Comments interspersed.

At 12:22 PM 9/14/2006, you wrote:
>Good people,
>I'm hopeing someone can giv my novice behind some advice.  Yesterday
>I went to service a piano for a new customer.  I was told it was an
>old Upright from the STAR PIANO COMPANY.  When I arrived (got the
>Library of Congress off the top of the damn thing) opened her up to
>have a look, or in my case a feel.  The first thing I saw was the
>hammer felt was split on probably half of the hammers.  On some it
>had separated from the molding.  I madee decision the piano could
>not be properly voiced.

With that happening, it can't be properly tuned either!!!!!! That's
when you should have stopped!

>The next thing was the strings.  They were corroded with rust.  So I
>was afraid to bring the piano up to pitch.

Maybe, maybe not.

>The last thing was the tuning pins, they were so loose I could not
>believe it.

That's when I would have definitely made my "escape" if he wouldn't
put out a BUNCH of money to fix it! Or better yet, replace it!

>I made statements to the man of the house about all of these
>problems.  He told me "do the best you can with it"

Well, it depends on how much you value your reputation!

>So, I tuned.  Was the tuning good?  No way!  But it was better than
>what they had.  I tuned the temperament three times.  It seemed the
>piano was just going flat each time.

Those loose tuning pins??????

>After about 2 hours I stood up and said, this is all I can do with
>it.  You might want to think about a new piano.  Yes yes we are he
>tells me.  We know this one is about gone.  I tell the old boy,
>theirs no about to it.  It is!  I collected my money, and out the
>door I went.  I left my card with them, and stated to give me a call
>if they needed anyone to help them find a new piano, or someone to
>look at a piano for them.

That's what I'd done in the first place!

>After getting home some 8 hours later I got a call from the man of
>the house.  He told me that now the piano sounded worse than it did
>before it was tuned.  What do you all think of that?  Should I go
>back and try it again free of charge?

NO!

>  Should I forget about it?

YES! Remind him of what you said about getting a "newer" piano and
that he said "We know this one is about gone."

>I should have never taken the job in the first place right?

Very definitely. Especially after you found all those problems.

>Well I have a driver to pay, I came 25 miles out of my way, I have
>told them i just dont know how this will work out.  The piano has a
>lot of problems.  So I did the job...  And now...

Hopefully, a lesson learned! Well, you made a mistake. We all did
when we were "young" in this profession. All I can say is remind him
of the above, accept your losses and vow never to make the same
mistake again!!!!!!!

Sounds a little like you need a "mentor" to call and get some advice
before you do jobs like this! JMO.

Avery Todd
University of Houston