Nipples on a bull

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Oct 20 16:29:51 MDT 2006

Hi

Oh they do many things in Europe... including fooling around with
nipples on a Bull.... :)... somewhere in Spain I think... annual
event... leaves a few dead each year...nasty buisness.

But as to your dummy pedals.  Yes I've seen them over here.  As to why
this got started ?  Could very well be psychological.  Given the usual
state of operation of most of the ones I come by that have a real
function....  a dummy pedal often serves the same purpose :)

Cheers
RicB

--------------
After meticulously tuning a dilapidated upright piano in the back of a
dark stage at a school, I reached down with my foot and found the
sustain pedal was broken off and missing.  In order to avoid having this
the best tuned piano in the landfill (and to get paid), I disconnected
the middle pedal and gerryrigged it to act as the sustain pedal and all
is well in the tuning world.  Which brings me to my question - does
anyone know the history of why there is a useless middle pedal on
inexpensive upright pianos?  Is it as the proverbial expression implies
"Nipples on a bull"?(Apologies to the ladies)  How did it begin?  Is it
just psychological?  Do they do this in Europe?

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach