Julius Bauer Grand Pianos, was: New Hammers on Old Piano

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 14 18:45:08 MDT 2006

    I haven't looked at it for a while but the plate,board & block should come out as a unit.

    Yes, I see that it would. The plate has a flange all the way around its perimeter that butts up to, and is screwed into, the outer rim. The inner rim is attached to the inside of the plate rim flange.
  You might check that again. If it's like my old 9' J. B., the soundboard is mounted to a separate "inner rim" that is fastened to the bottom of the plate. But the sides of this inner rim were spaced a bit from the lower flange of the plate.

  Perhaps my description wasn't clear, but yes, that's the way this one is - the inner rim is separate from the outer rim - although I really wasn't able to see how it was attached to anything.

  But still, wouldn't the soundboard and inner rim come out with the plate (maybe after loostening the soundboard from the belly rail)?

  There were square headed bolts run into this rim which butted up against the plate flange. You could actually adjust soundboard crown by turning these bolts in or out.

  Clever system and the only one I've ever seen in which soundboard crown can actually be adjusted. This despite the various claims floating around.

  Noooooooo! That's just too much! I didn't see that. I will definately take a much closer look next time I go out there. Sounds like an amazing setup. Seem like Bauer experimented maybe even more than Chickering! Didn't they know that the piano had already been perfected back in the 1880s in NY?

  Terry Farrell