Benefits of tilting the piano, instead of the drill press ? ( Opinions sought. )

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 13:56:59 MDT 2006

Dear Terry,
     If you tilt the drill press, and slide the press
across the piano on a  plank, and keep the drill press
base, and arm, perpendicular to the stretcher, the
pins will all lean directly toward the stretcher. If,
on the other hand, you make sure the arm/head of the
drill press is perfectly lined up with the string, the
pin hole will be directly angled away (7 degrees or so
) from the string. There's a difference. I am
wondering what manufacturers used which. By tilting
the drill press in this fashion, though, you are
risking having the pins angled this way or that, if
you roatate the press base, at all. Indexing lines
woulds keep your intended results uniform.
     By placing the drill press on the floor, or
overhead, and tilting the piano, you eliminate this
discrepancy. As long as the bit is "plumb" to the
floor, all the angles will be the same, regardless of
how the base is rotated.
     Peace,