Trade-in prices

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 13:52:59 MST 2006

Greetings,
        I have been asked to give a long distance appraisal on a schools
entire stock of Steinway pianos.  They are considering moving to an "All Steinway
School", and the factory is offering an average of $ 4,000 per piano.  They
have asked me to give them an idea of what the pianos should actually be worth
as trade-ins.
   I have told them they were nuts to trade their grands in on new ones,
rather than restoring them,  but this is a state school, and it seems that the
decision has been made locally while the question as to their worth is from the
State Board.

    I am wondering what the rebuilding consensus is for Steinway "husks".  I
am thinking approx. $1,000 per foot, more perhaps for particularly desirable
models like the big model A.  Maybe also a little more for the D's, but I
dunno.
    Who has seen what prices being fetched for restorable, but worn out
pianos?
thanks,

Ed Foote RPT